Sewer & Water

The Cariboo Regional District operates a number of water and/or sewer utilities for small unincorporated communities located within the Regional District boundaries. Revenue for operation, maintenance, capital and administration of each utility comes directly from land owners within each local service area boundary and is raised through taxation and user fees. Connection to a utility system is only available to properties located within the service area boundary (see maps). 

New Service Connections

If you live within one of the local service areas but are not currently connected to the system or are building a new residence and require a service connection, the Connection Permit can be obtained at the CRD offices in Quesnel, Williams Lake or 100 Mile House. Information pertaining to connection costs can also be obtained from these offices.

Inquiries & Emergencies

For inquiries regarding operational problems with your service connection or for a system emergency (water-main break, sewer overflow, etc.) call (250) 791-5567 or (250) 392-3351 or 1-800-665-1636 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. After 4:30 p.m., call (250) 392-2199 or 1-866-392-2199.

For inquiries regarding bill payments, invoices or user fees, contact the CRD Central Cariboo office, (250) 392-3351. If long distance, call toll-free at 1-800-665-1636.

For general information, servicing specifications, requirements for extending systems to un-serviced properties or establishing new utilities in un-serviced communities, contact the Supervisor of Environmental Services, at (250) 392-3351 or toll-free: 1-800-665-1636.

Page last modified: October 30, 2018 09:50:23 PDT