Disaster Recovery

The CRD Emergency and Protective Services Department provides a range of services and plans including post disaster recovery management and a regional emergency operations centre.  See the main Emergency and Protective Services page to learn more about current plans and emergency services across the CRD.

The following information is here to provide a general summary of important links and contacts for Cariboo Regional District residents, business and property owners after disaster.


What is Disaster Recovery?

Disaster Recovery is “getting back to normal” after a disaster. Recovery can begin as soon as homeowners are issued an emergency notification, such as an evacuation alert, by being prepared to evacuate and having your go-kit ready, household emergency plan thought out and organized with close friends and family, and your transportation options planned out in advance.

The importance of Emergency Preparedness in recovering from disaster

Being prepared in advance will help to reduce wait times for services and resources throughout the next several months by having important documents organized, copied, and on hand. Things to have ready:

  • Identification: drivers’ licence, care card, passport, student card
  • Access to funds: credit cards, debit cards, cash on hand, banking information
  • Insurance program details:  property, vehicle and life insurance agreements, extended benefit provider contact information, photographs of contents, proof of ownership; deeds, property documentation
  • Tax and legal information: up to date tax files (federal, provincial and municipal), business records and contact information for your accountant, bookkeeper, and lawyer
  • Medical records: contact numbers for family doctor, walk in clinic, specialists, pharmacist including medical records and prescriptions
  • Planning with extended family: talk with your family members, near and far, about what you or they will do in an emergency.  Where will you go, who will you contact and how? When will you reach out after a disaster, and how can members of your family be in touch with you?  These are all important things to discuss in advance and to talk with family members who are vulnerable and need special assistance about a plan and being prepared. Involve caregivers and medical professionals in this planning case by case as needed.
  • Planning for pets and hobby farm animals: Non-farm status animals are considered pets in BC. Each pet owner is responsible for their pets. Be ready to care for pets in an emergency by planning with your veterinarian/livestock association, etc. for your specific situation, have crates, feed, vaccination records, water, leashes and harnesses, transportation and boarding options organized in advance. 
  • Planning with employers, employees and coworkers: Find out if there is a workplace plan for emergencies, discuss communication plans with employers, employees and co-workers if work is disrupted due to an emergency event.

Having these things organized and in place will help with reducing wait times and processes by aiding to fill in applications correctly and completely, communicate with service providers as soon as possible, receive assistance, and return to work sooner and support you in getting back on your feet and back to normal.

Disaster Recovery - one step at a time

Recovery activities can include contacting your local government, your insurance company, completing and submitting applications to recovery programs, cleaning up debris, removing additional hazards, rebuilding and repairing damages, landscaping and replacing lost items.

The time frame immediately after and possibly for years after a disaster is stressful. It is important to check in with support systems such as family members, close friends, your faith community, counsellors, and help lines. The Canadian Red Cross has gathered information on how you can prepare emotionally for the stress and disruption of a disaster, as well as tips for taking care of yourself and others. Read their guide to Preparing for and Coping with the Effects of a Disaster.

Return to top of page


Mental Health & Wellness

See the Red Cross' Guide for Well-Being in Recovery for information on the expected reactions to an extraordinary event and how to deal with the emotional impact of the disaster.

Read Farm Credit Canada’s “Rooted in Strength, Taking care of our families and ourselves” a resource for Canadian farmers and ranchers.

Visit PreparedBC for information about staying healthy before, during and after natural disasters: www.gov.bc.ca/NaturalDisasterHealth

Other Mental Health and Wellness Services

To access mental health and wellness services, and for referrals for specific needs and supports, call the following numbers. All are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

  • BC Crisis Line: 1-888-353-2273
  • Provincial Suicide Line: 1-800 (SUICIDE) (1-800-784-2433)
  • 24/7 Mental Health Support: 310-6789

The above phone lines are answered by trained volunteers and staff of the Interior Crisis Line Network, a member organization of the BC Crisis Line Association. These contacts provide short-term emotional support to callers and match people with professional help available locally or elsewhere in the province.

Additional mental health resources also available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including holidays:

KUU-US Crisis Line – Aboriginal Crisis Line
Visit kuu-uscrisisline.ca for specific adult/elder or child/youth supports. 

Northern BC Support/Crisis

Youth Support Line
Visit: www.northernbccrisissuicide.ca 

Kids Help Phone 
Confidential support and online resources for children and teens. Professional counselling is available immediately.
Visit: kidshelpphone.ca 

Please see the Recovery Information sidebar for more information and contacts.

Return to top of page


2019 Flood Recovery Information

2019 British Columbia Forage and Transportation Assistance Initiative


2019 floods in the Cariboo left many ranchers with standing water in hay fields and the inability to harvest.   As a result, a number of ranchers in the Cariboo region are experiencing extraordinary expenses relating to the purchase of replacement winter feed.    

The 2019 BC Forage and Transportation Assistance Initiative will provide assistance towards the purchase of additional hay for Cariboo ranchers who are required to purchase more hay than they normally would. In addition, where ranchers find it more economically viable to move animals to alternate feed sources rather than transport purchased feed home, assistance with the freight costs for moving the animals will be provided.  This assistance is in addition to Production Insurance claims.

·       Completed applications must be received by June 1, 2020

Contact Details:

Telephone: 1 888 332 3352 (Toll Free)
Fax: 1 250 861 7490
Email: ProductionInsurance.Kelowna@gov.bc.ca 
Mail: 2019-20 - BC Forage and Transportation Assistance Initiative
Business Risk Management Branch
Ministry of Agriculture
200 - 1690 Powick Road
Kelowna, V1X 7G5

Disaster Financial Assistance

If you have submitted forms to Disaster Financial Assistance and are awaiting a decision or have submitted an appeal, you can follow up with DFA at 1-888-257-4777 to leave a message and request a call back. This number is checked often throughout the day and your call will be returned shortly.

Where to send information and completed forms:

Fax:  250-952-5542
Email:  dfa@gov.bc.ca 
Mail:  Emergency Management BC, PO Box 9201 Stn Prov Govt, Victoria BC V8W 9J1

Return to top of page

Private Water Systems

If your well has been flooded, assume that the water in your home is not safe to drink. You will have to disinfect your well before it is safe to use it.

Read the following resources about water systems. If you have further questions, please contact your local interior health office for direction to the water systems officer in charge of your area.

Flooding may cause damage to your sewage disposal field if you use the system before floodwaters have dropped below the distribution trenches in your septic field. Talk to your local environmental health officer before using your septic system after a flood.

Return to top of page

Waste Disposal & Debris Removal

Before disposing construction and demolition waste materials, and contents of homes and outbuildings, call the CRD Environmental Services department at 250-392-3351 or 1-800-665-1636.

Return to top of page

Road Repairs

If you have questions about road repairs in flood affected areas, please contact the following ministries:

  • Ministry of Transportation: 250 398-4510. Ministry administration staff will take your call and forward the information to the appropriate area road manager.
  • Forest Service Roads (Cariboo-Chilcotin Natural Resource District Engineering Section): 250-398-4345. This number will connect you with FrontCounter BC and you should ask for the District Engineering Section. Or you can email: FLNR.AdminServicesCariboo@gov.bc.ca

Return to top of page

Government of Canada

The Government of Canada offers a range of Disaster Assistance Programs – A list of all federal programs  can be found at this link:

Of special interest may be Employment Insurance and Taxpayer Relief Provisions:

Return to top of page

General Recovery Information

Resources for Households

Residential & Private Land Reclamation & Use Planning

For assistance and resources concerning private land use after fire, several private companies and consultants provide waste removal, environmental assessment, clean up services, and options for land use in the area. Cariboo Regional District municipal services include land use planning services and invasive plant management landowner assistance program

If you have private lands logging questions, please call the sawmill (Licensee) in your community to contact a local log buyer for estimates and information on processes. 

Residential Rebuilding - Homes & Structures

For Cariboo Regional District residential rebuilding questions and help with locating resources for individual and unique needs on topics such as utilitiesbuilding permits and inspections, debris removal and waste management, or other municipal resources, call 250-392-3351 for direction to departmental contacts for assistance.

Other important links and numbers to know:

  • BC Building Codes for building and plumbing codes and resources.
  • Technical Safety BC (was BC Safety Authority) provides information on gas and electric permits as well as finding a contractor.
  • BC Hydro Electrical Services Centre can be reached centrally at 1-877-520-1355 for pole replacements and new meter installations. For hazard reporting call 1-888-769-3766.
  • Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure webpage lists guidelines and contacts for private driveway developments.
  • Interior Health Authority issues Williams Lake and 100 Mile House area septic system permits and provides information on repairs and regulations.
  • Northern Health Authority provides sewer, septic and subdivision applications, permits and inspections and information on water systems.

Return to top of page

Resources for Businesses

Farm Business Recovery Advisory Services Program

The Province's Farm Business Recovery Advisory Services Program assists farmers and ranchers to better understand the adverse effects of disasters on their current production and financial situation, enabling them to implement an immediate and long-term recovery plan. Applications are open to any producers impacted by flood or fire.

Cariboo Chilcotin Coast Tourism Association
- Emergency Preparedness Pilot Project

Contact Joshua Chafe, CCCTA's Emergency Preparedness Coordinator to find out about what CCCTA is offering tourism-based businesses around the region. He can be reached at josh@landwithoutlimits.com.

BC Cattlemen's Association

Visit www.cattlemen.bc.ca for information related to agriculture recovery programs and resources.

Guide Outfitters Association of BC

GOABC members are welcome to contact the association via their website any support and assistance they can offer: https://www.goabc.org/

Return to top of page


The CRD does not accept donations and cannot release the names of impacted families or individuals.

Emergency Preparedness

FireSmart Programs & Preparedness Planning
FireSmart & Wildfire Prevention Programs - FireSmart is a national initiative to help property owners and communities understand the ways in which wildfire might threaten structures and property located in, and close to, forested and wildland areas, and the steps individuals and communities can take to reduce the susceptibility of buildings and property.  Download a copy of the FireSmart Homeowner's Manual at gov.bc.ca/wildfireprevention.

PreparedBC - British Columbia's one-stop shop for disaster readiness information. Depending on the emergency, you and your family could be on your own for several days while first responders manage the aftermath. Sounds daunting, but it doesn't have to be. Our goal is to make emergency readiness easy. 

PreparedBC has everything you need to start getting prepared today. Information includes identifying hazards, preparing your family, home and business and provides various disaster planning guides and resources. Go to https://www2.gov.bc.ca/preparedbc for links and plans.

Until May 31, 2021, the CRD has a free disposal program for FireSmart wood waste, funded by the Canadian Red Cross. Learn more HERE.

Cariboo Regional District Emergency & Protective Services - The CRD Emergency and Protective Services Department provides a range of services and plans including Community Wildfire Protection Plans and a regional emergency operations centre.  See the main Emergency and Protective Services page to read the full plan and to learn more about current sub-regional plans and services across the CRD.


Return to top of page

Page last modified: December 06, 2019 15:06:17 PST