Wildfire Recovery

The Cariboo Regional District has hired a Recovery Manager, Stephanie Masun, on contract to the end of March 2018.  She started Friday, October 27, 2017. She is working in conjunction with other Recovery Managers around the region and in neighbouring regions, to collect and coordinate information on recovery resources, connect residents to those resources and learn more about the economic and social impacts facing the region and its residents going forward.

If you need assistance, call or email the Recovery Manager for information on available resources, supports and services. Individual and group meetings will be planned as needed with community members and support organizations.  Contact Stephanie at recovery@cariboord.ca or 1-866-759-4977.

Recovery information will be posted and updated on this page as it becomes available.

Mental Health & Wellness

The Red Cross has released a brochure titled "Moving Through Recovery: A Guide During the Holidays." Follow the link or find the brochure in the sidebar. 

To access mental health and wellness services, and for referrals for specific needs and supports, call the following numbers. All are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

  • BC Crisis Line 1-888-353-2273
  • 1-800 (SUICIDE) (1-800-784-2433)
  • 310-6789 (310Mental Health Support)

The above phone lines are answered by trained volunteers and staff of the Interior Crisis Line Network, a member organization of the BC Crisis Line Association. These contacts provide short term emotional support to callers and match people with professional help available locally or elsewhere in the province.

Additional mental health resources also available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including holidays:

KUU-US Crisis Line – Aboriginal crisis line
Visit kuu-uscrisisline.ca for specific adult/elder or child/youth supports.

Kids Help Phone
Confidential support and online resources for children and teens. Professional counselling is available immediately.
Visit: kidshelpphone.ca

Please see the Recovery Information side bar for more information and contacts.

Additional Recovery Resources

The following resources and links can assist in finding information, working with Red Cross, accessing information if you have uninsured losses, navigating BC Wildfire Claims, and includes a link to the CRD’s mapping resource for CRD issued orders and alerts. More information will be added in the days and weeks to come.

*NEW* Residential & Private Land Reclamation & Use Planning

– for assistance and resources concerning private land use after fire, several private companies and consultants provide waste removal, environmental assessment, clean up services, and options for land use in the area. Cariboo Regional District municipal services include  land use planning  services and invasive plant management landowner assistance program

If you have private lands logging questions, please call the saw mill (Licensee) in your community to contact a local log buyer for estimates and information on processes. 


*NEW* Residential Rebuilding  - Homes & Structures

- For Cariboo Regional District residential rebuilding questions and help with locating resources for individual and unique needs on topics such as utilitiesbuilding permits and inspections, debris removal and waste management, or other municipal resources, call 250-392-3351 for direction to departmental contacts for assistance.

Other important links and numbers to know:

BC Building Codes for building and plumbing codes and resources.

Technical Safety BC (was BC Safety Authority) provides information on gas and electric permits as well as finding a contractor.

BC Hydro

Electrical Services Centre can be reached centrally at 1-877-520-1355 for pole replacements and new meter installations. For hazard reporting call 1-888-769-3766.

Ministry of Environment provides information about water wells.

Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure webpage lists guidelines and contacts for private driveway developments.

Interior Health Authority issues Williams Lake and 100 Mile House area septic system permits and provides information on repairs and regulations.

Northern Health Authority provides sewer and septic applications, permits and inspections.


British Columbia AgriStability Enhancement Program

The British Columbia government has made special provisions to help producers suffering income declines in 2017.  This program offers extended application deadlines and dedicated personnel to assist with application processes.  Call 1-877-343-2767 (toll free) or email AgriStability@gov.bc.ca. Follow this link for eligibility, forms and more program details: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/agriculture-seafood/programs/insurance-and-income-protection-programs/bc-enhanced-agristability-program

Community Futures - The Wildfire Recovery Support Program (WRS)

The Wildfire Recovery Support Program (WRS) hosted by Community Futures offers hands on support to businesses in the region who have been affected by the wildfires with referrals to supporting agencies and personal administrative help. It is being delivered throughout the region by three Community Futures offices, Williams Lake, Quesnel and Ashcroft.  Each office will cover it’s local and regional mandated area. 

See the attached Wildfire Recovery Support Program Ambassador contact list and program overview for more information, individual Ambassador email addresses and phone numbers. Or call Community Futures at 250-392-3626 in the Williams Lake area, and 250-992-2322 in and around Quesnel, for direction to program Ambassadors working to assist businesses in your local area. 

Red Cross - Community Partnerships Program 

The Canadian Red Cross recognizes the importance of strengthening support structures that were in communities prior to a disaster, as well as supporting organizations that provided critical services in host communities. Across the many fire-affected areas, the recovery and rebuilding process will take years. Through the recovery process, the Community Partnerships Program (CPP) provides funding to support community driven efforts that promote individual and community recovery and resiliency.  Follow THIS LINK for more information on the CPP and to apply.

Red Cross - Small Business Support

The second phase of the Canadian Red Cross Support to Small Business / Cultural Livelihood Program, funded by the Government of B.C., will provide additional financial assistance for Small Businesses and First Nations Cultural Livelihoods impacted by the British Columbia 2017 fires. This additional financial assistance is to support fixed and new expenses that are uninsured and that have occurred as a result of interrupted business operations due to the fires.

This program opens Nov. 20, 2017 and is available until April 6, 2018. Please see the side bar for program information and visit redcross.ca.

Red Cross - Individual Support

Please call 1-800-863-6582 to make an appointment for individual recovery resources and supports and see the Red Cross recovery services document on the side bar for additional programming and application deadlines.

Assistance for Uninsured Residents 

See the Assistance for Uninsured Residents document on the Recovery Information side bar for accessing agencies and assistance with debris removal, rebuilding, mental health supports and more.

Cariboo Fire Centre Claims 

To access BC Wildfire claims if your private property was impacted by fire fighting efforts, please email claim information, including name and location, description of alleged losses/damages, dates, and alleged cause or source of losses/damages to cariboofirecentreclaims2017@gov.bc.ca or call 778-267-0589 for mailing address and instructions if access to email is a challenge.

CRD Orders and Alerts 

Please follow THIS LINK for directions on how to access dates for orders and alerts that were issued by the Cariboo Regional District over the course of wildfire emergency and response activities. The CRD does not have jurisdiction over road closures and cannot assist in documenting or confirming this information.

For help accessing more information or services, please call the CRD Recovery Manager, Stephanie Masun, at 1-866-759-4977 or email recovery@cariboord.ca.


For people wishing to make donations to families and individuals impacted by the 2017 wildfires in the Cariboo Regional District, points of contact have been established for donation drop off and pick up. The CRD does not accept donations and cannot release the names of impacted families or individuals.

100 Mile House Food Bank Society in 100 Mile House (250-395-3923) is a donation drop point in the South Cariboo and a place where individuals can access wildfire related donations.

The Salvation Army in Williams Lake (250-392-2423 ext. 208) is a point of contact for the Central Cariboo.

Please see the "How to Donate" document in the Recovery Information sidebar for more details about charitable organizations collecting and distributing funding for BC wildfire impacted families and individuals.

If there are other registered not-for-profits or charity organizations who would like to be added to the list of drop and pick up points over the next few months, please call Stephanie Masun at 1-866-759-4977 or email recovery@cariboord.ca.

Page last modified: February 15, 2018 11:27:24 PST